Gardening: Body Mechanics are Important
Many people love to be out in the garden, planting, pulling weeds, cutting flowers and picking veggies. There is one complaint that we hear often as soon as it starts to warm up outside “my back is sore.” Here are some helpful hints for using proper body mechanics while gardening.
1. Warm up before you start to garden, take a walk around the yard a couple of times to get the blood pumping
2. When weeding or planting try to sit either on the ground or on a garden seat
3. If you do have to bend down, bend your knees and squat down instead of hunching forward from the low back
4. When using a shovel make sure that you are not throwing the dirt by twisting, take a couple of steps so that you are facing when you want the dirt to go
5. When lifting something heavy from the ground bend your knees and keep the load close to your body.
6. Take many rest breaks in the shade
7. Stay hydrated, keep drinking fluids